History The

Posted by ninjagrr
Jan 21 2010

History The IMAX system has its roots in EXPO ’67 in Montreal, Canada, where films shown in multi-screens were the success of the fair. A small group of Canadian filmmakers and entrepreneurs who had made some of those popular films, decided to design a new system through a single, powerful projector, rather than the cumbersome multiple projectors used at that time. The result: the projection system of the IMAX films. IMAX Corporation (IMAX Corporation) was founded in 1967 and headquartered jointly in New York City and Toronto, Canada. IMAX technology premiered at the Fuji Pavilion, EXPO’70 in Osaka, Japan. The first permanent IMAX projection system was installed at Ontario Place CN Tower in Toronto in 1971. Then an IMAX Dome (Omnimax ) debuted in the Science Center Reuben H. Fleet in San Diego in 1973 (soon explain how an IMAX dome theater).April 1984 – For the first time an IMAX camera is launched into space aboard the space shuttle Columbia for the filming of The Dream’s alive (The Dream is Alive) Winner of several awards. The first IMAX 3D system premiered at the Canada Pavilion, the EXPO’86 in Vancouver, Canada. June 1994 – IMAX is traded on the NASDAQ stock exchange. This year also marked a momentous event with the inauguration of the first IMAX theater in New York. March 1997 – IMAX was awarded the sole Oscar for Scientific and Technical Achievement from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The award recognizes innovation in creating IMAX best capture the image of the world and IMAX projection system, and acceptance as part of the entertainment world. March 2002 – was presented IMAX DMR , a patented technology that allows conventional Hollywood box office movies to be digitally re-mastered into IMAX’s format.The first IMAX DMR film was Apollo 13: The IMAX Experience, released in September 2002. April 2002 – Space Station 3D was the first IMAX 3D space film to be projected. It was also the first and only time an IMAX 3D camera has flown in space. November 2004 – Warner Bros. Pictures’ The Polar Express (The Polar Express) made cinematic history by being the first IMAX 3D film. June 2006 – Superman Returns: An IMAX 3D Experience became the first live performance in Hollywood with selected scenes converted into IMAX 3D technology, live-action 2D to 3D digital conversion property of IMAX Corporation November 2007 – IMAX signed a agreement with DreamWorks Animation for the screening of four films.This is the first agreement for the realization of 3D movies with a Hollywood studio The two companies have expanded to encompass the five movies: Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar / Escape to Africa / Monsters vs. Aliens / How to Train Your Dragon / Shrek January 4, 2008 agreement was made to install more than 100 IMAX digital cinemas. July 2008 – Warner Bros. Pictures and director Christopher Nolan made history by recording for the first time with an IMAX camera, select scenes from Batman: The Dark Knight. Inspiring others to mainstream Hollywood directors IMAX cameras in other major productions. November 2008 – IMAX and Disney reached an agreement to produce 5 films in 3D starting with Disney’s A Christmas Carol3D (Scrooge’s ghosts 3D) There are currently more than 371 IMAX theaters in 43 countries. Approximately 65 percent of the theaters are in North America, while the remaining 35 percent are distributed internationally.Most IMAX theaters are equipped with IMAX 3D technology. The digital projection system IMAX began deploying in July 2008. There are currently more than 46 digital projection systems in operation.

Comments are closed.